Director, Portfolio Management
The Director of Portfolio Management (DPM) is responsible to direct the daily operations of the credit risk management team. In this role, you will manage and direct the Portfolio Managers to ensure the all aspects of credit risk are managed in accordance with the Credit Union’s risk appetite and culture. The DPM is also responsible to mentor and develop the portfolio management team to assure they adhere to safe and sound lending practices. The incumbent will direct and monitor the team to assure that they follow the credit union’s risk tolerance standards, written credit policy and underwriting guidelines.
- Demonstrates initiatives and abilities to research and resolve problems.
- Monitor loan portfolio's to identify any credit concerns in a timely manner.
- Understands and stays abreast of changes to FPCU Policy, Procedures, NCUA, Federal and State Regulations as it pertains to Credit Unions as well as BSA laws and regulation applicable to area of responsibility.
- Directs and manages the underwriting workflow to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Monitors staff’s performance and provides coaching when needed.
- Signs off on portfolio manager’s underwriting documents and recommendations for submission to management
- Directs and manages annual loan reviews to assure they are completed by the credit risk team in a timely manner.
- Prepares, reviews and analyzes the creditworthiness of all commercial loan originations and renewals by conducting: cash flow analysis for all loans to include when appropriate a property DSCR, a Business DSCR, a Global DSCR, Net Worth calculations and all ratios pertinent to a sound lending decision.
- Evaluates financial statements, historical trends, projections, management performance, industry, cash flow, capital structure and collateral analysis and validation of all appraisals and LTV’s.
- Prepares written summary of loan terms and conditions along with a written narrative explaining business background, outlining risk factors and justifying assigned risk rating, ensuring conformity with credit union policy and procedures and with applicable credit union regulations.
- Identifies risks and assist in structuring the loan to mitigate risks.
- Completes a risk assessment template for all loans and validate the appropriate risk rating.
- Understands physical characteristics, and complexities for all Commercial Real Estate properties to include Multifamily.
- Independently and accurately completes the Annual Review form and any other credit risk analysis reports encompassing trend analysis, ability to repay, collateral coverage, potential risks and mitigation factors. Derives and present the well-supported recommendations based on the analysis to management for approval.
- Actively participates with VP of Commercial Lending in the preparation of loan proposals for committee presentation, including review of financial statements and projections.
- Reviews and recommends continued improvements to the underwriting and application process.
- Actively monitors reports to ensure all requirements are met.
- Other duties as assigned to achieve the goals of the department and the credit union.
- Aids in the training and development of staff.
- Participates in management projects as needed and assist in achieving the credit unions goals and objectives.
- Participates periodically internal and external training courses as required by the credit union.
- Refers identified new business opportunities to the Senior Loan Officer.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years of continuous work experience in commercial lending underwriting with emphasis in Commercial Real Estate. Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, real estate, or related field preferred. A minimum of five (5) years in management position in a commercial lending financial institutions similar to the Credit Union.
Excellent analytical, conceptual, writing, and communication skills. Ability to interface effectively with other professionals including loan officers, brokers, processors, appraisers, accountants and auditors. Good organizational skills. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Self-starter and self-motivated
- Meets performance objectives based on goals, mission and values
- Synthesizes financial data into meaningful terms
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Proficient in word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Recognizes financial trends and patterns
- Be detail oriented and organized
- Lending analysis software skills
- Ability to maintain proper credit file documentation
- Ability to effectively and clearly present complex commercial lending and credit risk related information to targeted audience Must be proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of the following programs is a plus: Symitar, Sageworks, Moody’s Risk Analysis, Financial Tools, Co-Star .